JULY 16TH - 20TH GUARD & PERCUSSION CAMP 9AM-12PM 1PM-4PM (12-1 LUNCH)
WIND VISUAL& FUNDAMENTAL CAMP 9AM-12PM 1PM-4PM (12-1PM LUNCH)
JULY 23RD - 27TH BAND CAMP 8AM-5PM (BRING YOUR LUNCH)
JULY 30TH - AUG.3RD BAND CAMP 8AM-5PM (BRING YOUR LUNCH)
ALL BAND CAMP ACTIVITIES WILL TAKE PLACE AT PRP TECH BUILDING.
All band camp dates, rehearsals and performances are MANDATORY. It is vital that YOU know your schedule and that you PLAN AHEAD.
"To fail to plan is to plan to fail!"
Missing a day of camp could put your spot in the show in jeopardy putting you in a alternate / non-performing position! It is vital that ALL MEMBERS attend EACH DAY of camp. IF you are too ill to attend a day of camp (this means you need to go to the doctor or ER), please follow the following procedure:
1. THE STUDENT(not the parent) WILL Call Ms. Burnell AT LEAST 30 MINUTES prior to rehearsal beginning. (Parents please realize we are teaching life skills here.) In the event the student is hospitalized or some other emergency event, the parent may call.
2. THE STUDENT will also text / call their section leader and inform them of the absence.
PLEASE NOTE! Telling a staff member or another student to inform Ms. Burnell of the absence IS ABSOLUTELY NOT ACCEPTABLE. Students who do this will be placed as an alternate IMMEDIATELY. In addition, any student who misses a day of camp without contacting the director will not be allowed to continue in the ensemble. This will be strictly enforced.
We must have commitment, not convenient commitment,
Keep in mind, if you don't take care of your body, IT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU! Illness is usually brought on due to lack of sleep, lack of proper hydration prior to rehearsal, lack of enough calorie intake (YOU MUST EAT), not eating breakfast, sunburn, etc. Please make sure to take care of yourself!!!
For all other absences beyond camp, please follow procedure as outlined in your marching band handbook.
EVERY MEMBER SHALL BRING THE FOLLOWING EQUIPMENT TO EACH DAY OF CAMP / REHEARSAL:
1 GALLON OR LARGER WATER JUG
A BLACK TOWEL
(This towel will be used for stretches, instrument protection and other activities! Don't forget it!)
CHANGE OF SOCKS AND T-SHIRT
BACKPACK TO KEEP CLOTHES / SUPPLIES IN (Make sure your name is on it!)
SUNSCREEN / LIP BLOCK (sunburns hurt. dont get one)
3 RING BINDER WITH 75 PAGE PROTECTORS
A LONG SHOE STRING TO PUT ON YOUR BINDER (WE WILL SHOW YOU)
PENCIL POUCH FOR YOUR BINDER
A HIGHLIGHTER AND PENCIL IN YOUR POUCH
WHAT NOT TO WEAR
*Dark Colored Clothing *Flip Flops / Sandals *Bare Feet *Halter Tops
*Crop Tops *Boots *Bandannas *Bikini Tops *Jeans
*Members are NEVER to be without shirts or have any part of the belly / chest showing
*All clothing must be in compliance with JCPS Code of Conduct
4.CHAFFING - Many of our repetitive motions may cause chaffing especially on the inner thighs. Applying powder or even a thin layer of vaseline to this area can prevent chaffing. If you do experience chaffing, a bath in cool water and then applying powder usually relieves symptoms.
5.MUSCLE SORENESS - Most student get sore the first few days of camp. A bath with Epsom salt and taking advil / ibuprofen can help with muscle soreness. If you experience cramps, eat bananas or other potassium rich food. A good stretch out helps too.
VISUAL / GUARD /PERCUSSION CAMP During pre camp students will need to bring their lunch or may leave for lunch. Students may also have outside food brought to them, but they must have their lunch delivered ON TIME. Lunch not arriving on time is not an excuse for being late for rehearsal.
BREAKFAST All students are EXPECTED to eat breakfast. You will need to consume at least 800 calories. Avoid foods that are very greasy or heavy in dairy. YOU WILL GET SICK IF YOU DO NOT EAT BREAKFAST! If you don't have access to food for breakfast or lunch, do not be silent! We are a band family and we take care of each other. Let your section leader, director or a staff member know so that we can remedy the situation.
LUNCH. PLEASE BRING YOUR LUNCH! YOU NEED LOTS OF CALORIES!!!
NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO LEAVE CAMPUS DURING CAMP FOR MEALS!!!
SNACKS: Students are encouraged to brink fruit, cheese, etc. for healthy snacks during camp!
WE NEED YOUR HELP! Marching band is truly a TEAM EFFORT!!! We need help in many different areas. We will have a MANDATORY MEETING FOR ALL PARENTS / GUARDIANS on TUESDAY JULY 18TH AT 6:30PM IN THE BAND ROOM. This will be during our regular Band Booster meeting time. BAND BOOSTER MEETING ARE THE THIRD TUESDAY OF EACH MONTH AT 6:30.
I am very excited to introduce our band camp and season staff to you all. I always endeavor to hire the BEST in instructors. This years staff is exceptional!
Assistant Director: Joshua Warren, BME University of Louisville
Pit Percussion / Visual & Music Design: Chris Mudd, BME University of Louisville
Woodwinds and Drill - Ms. Katherine Hunt, Director of Bands Farsley Middle School, BME Morehead State University, MME Murray State Unviersity
Brass and Drill - Mr. Elliott Hawks, BME Morehead State University,
High Brass- Melanie Dillman, BA Indiana University
Color Guard -Gene Clark, JCTC, graduate of Butler Traditional and Abdul Mohammad, University of Louisville
Percussion Director - Matthew Hargitt, University of Louisville
Drum Majors and Visual - Beverly Bryant, MA University of Campbellsville
IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER ABOUT BAND CAMP
1. Band Camp is the hardest part of marching band. It is physical, intense and mentally draining. YOU WILL at some point have a "breakdown". THIS IS OK!!! We all do it! It is VERY demanding. Just keep working! Stay focused on the goal!
2. We must be the MODEL ambassadors for our school! We spend three weeks on campus during the time while teachers are getting ready for the school year, principals are preparing for the school year and custodians are preparing the building for the year! Because of this, it is ESSENTIAL that we treat our facility with respect and make sure that the grounds are maintained. It is also vital that all students stay in DESIGNATED AREAS! Students are expected to only be in areas they are assigned with and adult supervising. NO EXCEPTIONS! This is vital since we will be visitors on the campus of Farnsley Middle School this year.
3. All students are expected to act as responsible young men and women! This means:
*NO PDA *NO CUSSING *FOCUSED DURING REHEARSAL
*BEING RESPECTFUL *TAKING CARE OF FACILITY
*FOLLOWING DRESS EXPECTATIONS
*FOLLOWING ALL BEHAVIOR EXPECTATIONS IN MARCHING BAND HANDBOOK
4. BE BAND SMART!!!
*WEAR APPROPRIATE CLOTHING!!! NO JEANS OR BLACK!!!
*BOYS MUST ALWAYS HAVE A SHIRT ON (AND GIRLS TOO IF APPLICABLE)
*NO BARE FEET OR FLIP FLOPS EVER!!!!!
*BRING YOUR WATER BOTTLE EVERY REHEARSAL! IF YOU NEED ONE, TELL YOUR SECTION LEADER!
*ALWAYS HAVE YOUR MATERIALS!
-BINDER WITH MUSIC / DRILL PICTURES
-INSTRUMENT GOOD TO PLAY
5. UNDERSTAND THIS IS A TRUE TEAM EFFORT! We need all students and parents to be on board and to understand their participation is vital!!!